A support initiative for local First Nation students has been granted a reprieve from cancellation.
Funding for the P.A.C.E. (Partnership, Achievement, Cultural Awareness & Engagement) Program has been secured through the end of June 2025, thanks to the Walpole Island Board of Education.
The program, which supports the success of students experiencing various difficulties, was previously set to end on March 28 due to a backlog of federal funding. The program is offered to Walpole Island students attending Wallaceburg District Secondary School and Bkejwanong Kinomaagewgamig.
“This ensures that students will continue to receive their necessary support for the remainder of this school year,” P.A.C.E. Inc. said in a Facebook post.
However, P.A.C.E. officials said the future of the program remains uncertain as applications for federal funding through Jordan’s Principle remain backlogged.
“We are currently awaiting a response from Jordan’s Principle regarding our funding request. If we do not receive confirmation before the beginning of August 2025, we may find ourselves back at square one as we approach the next school year,” P.A.C.E. Inc. said.
For more information about how the P.A.C.E. Program supports local First Nations students, click here.