The Business Excellence Awards were dolled out last night at the Jean Gordon Theatre in Wallaceburg.
Stealing the spotlight was the late Jerry Benn who won two awards, first as Volunteer of the year, and concluding the night as Citizen of the Year.
Benn died in November, shortly after seeing his dream come true.
He worked tirelessly to have the tank brought to Wallaceburg, which you can now see placed at Civic Square Park.
Benn’s wife Louise was overcome with emotion after her late husband won the two awards.
“I’m lost for words right now,” she said. “Jerry would be so proud of this recognition.”
Taking home the inaugural Dresden BIA award was McKellar’s Flower’s in Dresden.
Here’s a full list of the award winners:
- Industrial Achievement Award – Leemark Enterprises
- Agricultural Award – River Bell Gardens
- Technology Award – Inklyo Ltd.
- Environmental Award – WATCH
- Business of the Year – DeGusto/Syd Rivers
- Entrepreneur of the Year – Derek McGivern
- Chip Gordon Community Builder Award – Scott & Stacey Ewing
- Young Professional Award – Aaron Hall
- Volunteer of the Year – Jerry Benn
- Community Inclusion Award – Howell’s Welding & Tank Mfg. Inc.
- Citizen of the Year – Jerry Benn
- Wallaceburg BIA Award – Wallaceburg Beautification Team
- Dresden BIA Award – McKellar’s Flowers